Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I volunteer once a month or one time?
- No, our volunteer program is a minimum requirement of once a week for two hours over the period of 12-13 week. This consistency helps the students build relationships and conversation with volunteers. We ask that you take this time commitment into consideration before you volunteer with us.
- Do I need to know another language to be a volunteer?
- No, you do not need to speak another language to volunteer.
- Do I need a degree in teaching/English?
- No, as a volunteer you function as a tutor. The lesson that is given that day is created and administered by the RDC staff.
- Will I be teaching a class?
- No, you will sit with a student and work one-on-one with them through a worksheet, or lesson the RDC staff has created.
- Do I need to prepare material before volunteering?
- No, RDC staff will take care of all of the classroom prep and English lesson.
- If I am under 18 can I volunteer?
- No, to volunteer we must run four different background checks that require you to be
- Do I have to be an MSU student to volunteer?
- No, we would love for anyone to help out with our programs.